Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Malay Road Toponyms 3

Links to other related articles as follows:
Malay Road Toponyms 1
Malay Road Toponyms 2

Since I've got no time to update my blog, thought I'll release the third edition of this article.

Jalan Bahar
    جالن بهار

Originally an unnamed path, it was officially named on 9th April 1965. Jalan Bahar links Jalan Boon Lay and Lim Chu Kang Road. Bahar is a term used to describe a large lake or river. The major arterial road serves as an address to Civil Defence Academy and Pusara Aman Muslim Cemetery as well as the entrance to Nanyang Technological University campus at Nanyang Road. As of October 2015, the road is currently going through a widening project.


Jalan Boon Lay
   جالن بوون لاي

Built sometime in the 40s, Jalan Boon Lay was originally called Boon Lay Road after pioneer and prominent businessman, Chew Boon Lay (1852-1933). The land and its adjacent areas once owned by Chew when it was acquired by the colonial government sometime after his death. The street suffix was changed from "Road" to "Jalan" in the 60s when Singapore became a part of Malaysia. The major arterial road has spawned other roads, an MRT Station and a whole town in his honor.


Jalan Ibadat
   جالن عبادت

First appearing on maps in 1969, Jalan Ibadat fittingly has a old generation mosque at the end of the road, known as Masjid Al-Firdaus. "Ibadat" means "worship" in Malay. The small road is located off Choa Chu Kang Road, surrounded by greenery. The road also leads to the former Singapore Armed Forces' Jalan Ibadat Camp at the road's end.


Jalan Kayu
   جالن كايو

Built in 1928 and named in 1937 by the Singapore Rural Board, Jalan Kayu today is famously know for the many eateries and restaurants along the roadside. There are many sources on how the name "Jalan Kayu", meaning "Wooden Road" came about. One source indicate that firewood can be found stacked on the roadside. Another states that during the early days, the unpaved road got muddy that wood was used to cover the muddy roads to make it passable. One possible theory also states that the road was named after the planner of Seletar RAF Base, C. E. Wood. With respect to the Malay majority community in the area at that time, the road was given a Malay name.


Jalan Lekar
    جالن ليكر

Lekar in Malay is used to describe something that is used to cover a pot made of rattan. Jalan Lekar may be accessed off Choa Chu Kang Road, right in front of Home Team Academy. today is home to several fish farms. The road first appeared on maps in 1963.


Jalan Naga Sari
   جالن ناڬ ساري

Pokok Naga Sari, or in English, Ceylon Ironwood Tree has a namesake road off Bukit Timah Road named Jalan Naga Sari. The minor road serves access into private housing along the road.


Jalan Piring
   جالن ڤيريڠ

Jalan Piring was depicted in 1969 maps as a much longer road with other expunged sister roads named after cutlery such as Jalan Sendok, Jalan Dulang, Jalan Parut, Lorong Sudu and Lorong Chamcha. Piring is Malay for plate. Today, as of October 2015, the road is in danger of being expunged thanks to a nearby building project.

Updated on January 2017: The road has been taken off official maps and is officially expunged 


Jalan Tari Serimpi
   جالن تاري سريمڤي

The roads within Jalan Kayu Estate are named after traditional Indonesian classic dances, and also the few roads named after Indonesian culture rather than Malayan culture. Tari Serimipi is a form of traditional Javanese Court Dance performed by ladies for royalty in the palaces. Jalan Tari Serimpi and its sister roads in the area first appeared on maps in 1963

Jalan Tari Lilin
   جالن تاري ليلين

Jalan Tari Lilin is named after a form of traditional dance originating from Sumatra. As stated in the name, the literal translation of "Tari Lilin" is "Candle Dance" and is a art form performed at night as groups of dancers carry plates of lighted candles accompanied by a group of musicians playing traditional Indonesian music. The minor road serves as an address for private houses located in Jalan Kayu Estate.

Jalan Tari Payong
    جالن تاري ڤايوڠ

Another road in Jalan Kayu Estate named after traditional Indonesian dances, Jalan Tari Payong first appeared on maps in 1963. Tari Payong, currently spelt as "Tari Payung" or "Umbrella Dance" in English originated in Southern Sumatra. The dance symbolizes affection of a lover or partner. The use of umbrellas in the dance aims to protect them from the negative things and is usually performed at the opening of a party or exhibition.


Jalan Tari Zapin
   جالن تاري زاڤين

Tari Zapin is a form of Malay Folk Dance said to be inspired by Peranakan Arabic and originated from Yemen. Zapin derived from Arabic word "Zafn". Jalan Tari Zapin is located within Jalan Kayu Estate and serves as an address for the private houses there.


Jalan Tari Dulang
    جالن تاري دولڠ

Jalan Tari Dulang is located within Jalan Kayu Estate and first appeared on maps in 1963. Tari Dulang is Malay for “Tray Dance”. Dancers would carry decorative trays of gifts (known as gubahan in Malay) at weddings, that are exchanged between the groom’s and bride’s side. In the past, the exchanging of such trays are presented in the form of a dance, hence the name "Tarian Dulang Pengatin".

Jalan Tari Piring
    جالن تاري ڤيريڠ

Tari Piring or plate dance originated from Solok, a province of West Sumatra, Indonesia by the Minangkabau people. Originally, the dance is a ritual of thanksgiving to the gods after bountiful harvest. After the march of Islam, the dance no longer represents a ritual of thanks to the gods but rather used as a form of art for entertainment purposes. Jalan Tari Piring today houses private housing and is located in Jalan Kayu Estate.


Lorong Halus
  لوروڠ هالوس

Halus means "Fine" in Malay. Previously a dumping ground in the 70s, Lorong Halus was one of the few rural roads to survive when Tampines Expressway and the surrounding developments was built. Today, Lorong Halus is now home to the Lorong Halus Wetland, a water recreation site and Singapore's newest reservoir, Serangoon reservoir.


Lorong Pasu
  لوروڠ ڤاسو

Located in the rural areas of Sungai Tengah, Lorong Pasu is named after the Malay word for vase or flower pot. The area surrounding the unpaved road is surrounded by vegetation owned by farming companies.


Lorong Samak
   لوروڠ سامق

Lorong Samak is located in Jalan Kayu Estate. The road is named after a tree commonly found in Southeast Asia called Pokok Samak, known by its scientific name Eugenia polyantha. Its leaves, the Indonesian Bay Leaf, is used as food additives and diabetic treatment. The minor road serves as an address for private housing along its road. The road first appeared on maps in 1966.

Lorong Semangka
      لوروڠ سمڠكا

Semangka is Malay for Watermelon. Lorong Semangka is located deep within Sungei Tengah. A very rural road with little development and lots of vegetation as farms continue to thrive there.


Lorong Tanggam
     لوروڠ تڠڬم

As researched, Lorong Tanggam apparently has two meanings coming from two different sources. One stated that "Tanggam" is translated to "Gold" in Tamil, while Tanggam in Malay to describe a tight and strong notched connection of wooden planks. Being located off Jalan Kayu, it would certainly make much more sense that the real meaning behind it leans much more to its Malay translation rather than Tamil. Lorong Tanggam also spawned a nearby LRT station with the same name. The road first appeared on maps in 1966.

Previous - Malay Road Toponyms 2
Next - Malay Road Toponyms 4

No comments:

Post a Comment