Monday, December 28, 2015

2015 - A Year in Review

Three days left to 2016, so I thought I'd compile all my memories and pen down my thoughts in the post.

2015, the year Marty McFly traveled into the future in the movie Back to the Future. Also from that movie, 2015 can be pronounced as "two-thousand fifteen" or "twenty-fifteen". 2015 is my favorite year as it contains the number "5", my favorite number. They also said that the world will end in 2012. But I guess Judgement Day was 2 years late.

#OurSG50Story
Numerals aside, this year has been extraordinarily wonderful for me. As Singapore celebrates its golden jubilee, I act it as a backdrop and decided to associate myself with it. Unlike some of my goals that I have made and thought up in previous new years' resolutions, I have managed to achieve most of them. Well, lets look back to some of the milestones and reflections of the year.

January


In the beginning, I wouldn't expect much in 2015. Looking back in 2014, there have been a lot of downs rather then ups. I did set up some goals for 2015 including, getting my diploma, Class 2 license, spend less than $900 each month and I'm happy to say that almost reaching the year's end, I have achieved close to half of them.

However, as I didn't expect much, I was already contempt with whatever was happening. And I went with the flow. Guess that this kind of mindset came useful in the coming months to come.


February

February 18th, Chinese New Year eve, after not meeting for months, I'm finally reunited with my best friend, Ashraf and our long time secondary school friend, Syera. Since then we have catch up on a lot of things, reliving our glory and gossip during our secondary school days. This has also made me rethink about my secondary school life. Although I was a nerd and an outcast, it was an interesting school life filled with lots of memories and priceless moments. Since then, me and Ashraf had met each other more regularly, sometimes with Syera tagging along.


March


First ever date with the love of my life.
On March 15th, it was my first ever meeting with Fatin, my future fiancee. She brought her little brother along but that didn't bother us from getting to know about each other. Have to say that this was a landmark date as ever since then, we would have gotten out on many many other dates and eventually we'll fall for each other.


April

With the new and old Traffic Police uniforms
April 25th, went to the Singapore Police Force Workplan Seminar with fiancee, then girlfriend. We saw the new theme of the police force, new uniforms and gadgets and mostly, Fatin Afiqah found her new found love for guns and shooting them. It was also a landmark date as we found our new found love for exploring new places and exhibitions.


July

July 17th and 18th, first ever Hari Raya celebration with future fiancee and her family. In this two days, we went all over Singapore visiting her side of her family. It was a relief to know that some of them had accepted me as Fatin Afiqah's significant other.

Our engagement photo.
July 25th, finally engaged to Nur Fatin Afiqah in a small but beautiful ceremony. Another milestone for us. But for myself, I can finally be assured to have someone in my life, someone I can hold on to, someone I can share my life with. Despite being engaged only, we will use this time to overcome all adversaries and tests along the way, and come out stronger than ever before in preparation for our married life. No effort will go to waste and I'm very sure of that.


August

August 9th, my "Majulah Moment" at the Padang. Singapore's independence day. Despite not being able to get tickets for the NDP, and a tiring duty on that day, I was able to catch the behind the scenes action. And to top it all off, a fellow colleague took one of my priceless photos ever with the former decorated City Hall as a backdrop.


August 20th, this was when I decided to restart blogging again and started this blog with the theme "Dreams Make our Lives a Reality", my own longtime personal tagline. The decision to start blogging was actually a long time one, with myself being in the police force as the address "memoirs-of-a-singapore-policeman" was supposed to exemplify the fact that I'm a policeman. Seeing how being an auxiliary policeman doesn't really make a difference, I decided to start early and went on to use this address instead. With the many memories and happenings in my life its about time to document and catalog all my memories and pen down my thoughts.


September


Transfer of deployment within my company. From guarding the ST Kinetics installations to the motorcycle unit. September 4th was the first day. Since then, I never looked back and have participated in a variety of roles and job scope as a auxiliary police motorcycle officer. It was also the first time since the driving center I got the opportunity to ride a class 2A bike. Also on October 30th, we officially took over the LTA Traffic Marshal job from the rival company and I'm proud to say that I was part of the pioneer batch.


October

Birthday celebration with Fiancee's family!
14th October. My first ever birthday celebration with fiancee's family. First she treated me to lunch/dinner at Fourteen Chef's. The food was great, but later, fiancee got the staff there to sing a birthday song to me. Next it was at her house where her family surprised me with a lighted birthday cake, something that I did not have in a long long time. Although I did say that I didn't wanna celebrate it, deep down, I do wanted it to happen. I guess over the years of not celebrating it, I just said that to make myself feel better.

Sometime later, I also received a letter from the mail. It was from Temasek Polytechnic. I had just received my academic transcript, meaning that I had cleared my diploma and will move on to graduate on May next year!


November

Jubilee Big Walk

Our "first" ever walkaton. The New Paper Jubilee Big Walk. Something I have always wanted to done in a long long time but never done it. Finally after meeting my fiancee, I decided it was time for me to open up and do the things I always wanted to do. It's always better to do it with a partner.

December

Thru a family trip, me and fiancee had our first ever overseas trip together on Christmas Day at Batam, Indonesia. Overall, though the one day trip was short and rushed, I shared my intention to travel around the world with her once we get married. For a year now, I have been experiencing the feeling of wanderlust, and its always been my dream to travel around the world someday. And thanks to my new found relationship with Fatin, I hope to make this a reality with her.

Reflections


I'd have to say, that unlike these past few years, 2015 has been quite memorable for me and there are many positive changes have been happening. Probably thanks to my new found love, I have became more inspired and open to more things in life. Despite being a thrifty person, I didn't mind spending time and money on doing new things (Specially with someone special).

The world around me is cruel and my surroundings expect me to conform what society has deemed and perceive as "normal" or "routine". During the first half, I have tried, to so call fit in. But instead, my vulnerability showed and people started stepping over my head and taking advantage of me. With the insistence and advice of my fiancee, I started acting otherwise. Never again will I allow anyone to tremble over me. I have lost many friends, as some of them cannot take it when I confronted them. But I couldn't care less about other people now, as they didn't even care about me in the first place.

As for the future, I don't know what to expect. But InshaAllah, with effort, hope and a little help from Him, 2016 will be extra special with lots of opportunities and goals to achieve.

Once again, Happy New Year, 2016, (1437-1438H)

No comments:

Post a Comment