Monday, February 1, 2016

Malay Road Toponyms 15

Malay Road Toponyms 1
Malay Road Toponyms 2
Malay Road Toponyms 3
Malay Road Toponyms 4
Malay Road Toponyms 5
Malay Road Toponyms 6
Malay Road Toponyms 7
Malay Road Toponyms 8
Malay Road Toponyms 9
Malay Road Toponyms 10
Malay Road Toponyms 11
Malay Road Toponyms 12
Malay Road Toponyms 13
Malay Road Toponyms 14

Jalan Angklong
     جالن اڠكلوڠ

Angklung, previously spelled as "Angklong" as depicted on the namesake street sign, is a musical instrument made from bamboo tubes originating from Indonesia. Following a theme of naming roads after musical instruments, the road is located off Upper Thomson Road, within Faber Garden Estate. Jalan Angklong first appeared on maps in 1966.

Jalan Bahagia
     جالن بهاڬيا

Located in St. Michael's Estate, Jalan Bahagia was formerly depicted on historic maps as "Jalan Satu" and is joined with Jalan Kebun Limau. Today, its accessed thru Central Expressway and Whampoa Drive. The road, along with the other sister roads within the estate was renamed in 1958, presumably to avoid confusion with the already numbered roads in Old Airport Estate. Bahagia in Malay has a variety of meanings including, happy, blessing, easy and peaceful. This one way road is home to some HDB estates.

Jalan Benaan Kapal
      جالن بيناان كاڤل

The road first appeared on maps in 1969. Located along the Geylang River, the site was previously a shipyard and port. The former purpose of the area can be seen in road's namesake, Jalan Benaan Kapal, which is translated to "Ship Building Road" and the 60's era factory buildings along the road. The road today is famous for "The Cage", an indoor fustal facility and an old 60s era coffee shop that has withstood the test of time.

Jalan Gendang
     جالن ڬينداڠ

Gendeng, or "Kendhang" in English/Javanese, is a two-headed membrane drums used by people of Indonesia, Malaysia Brunei, and Philippines. Gendang is also used to describe the motion of hitting a drum or any percussion instrument. Jalan Gendang is located within Faber Gardens Estate. The minor road is flanked by landed houses. The road first appeared on maps in 1966.

Jalan Kemaman
     جالن كمانن

Jalan Kemaman is a minor road located off Balestier Road. Kemaman, known as Cleome icosandra are commonly known as spider flowers, spider plants or spider weeds. Jalan Kemaman today is lined up with a mixture of private apartment buildings and condominiums.

Jalan Kuala
    جالن كوالا

This road off River Valley Road was named in 1958. Kuala is translated to "estuary". This short minor road is currently an access road into The Morningside Condominium and Yong An Park.

Jalan Ma'mor
    جالن مقمور


Originally named "Jalan Tiga", it was renamed to Jalan Ma'mor in 1958. The buildings along Jalan Ma'mor are public landed terrace houses built in the 1960s by HDB's predecessor, the Singapore Improvement Trust. "Ma'mor", in the older spelling of "makmur" means prosperous in Malay.

Jalan Girang
    جالن ڬيرڠ

The road first appeared on maps in 1966. Jalan Girang is located within Braddell Heights Estate. Garing means happy, glad, joyful in Malay. Usually a formal term and has fallen out of use. Jalan Girang is flanked by private landed houses.

Jalan Kwok Min
    جالن قووك مين

A former village road in the Mandai Area, Jalan Kwok Min first appeared on maps in 1966. The junction of Mandai Road and Jalan Kwok Min used to play host to Sungei Mandai Village, which as since been demolished. The construction of Bukit Timah Expressway in 1983 chewed some of it and by 2010s, Jalan Kwok Min was totally off limits to the public and gazetted as a restricted area by the Singapore Armed Forces for training. Today, a uphill track guarded by a gated fence and this sign on the above photo is all is left of Jalan Kwok Min. It is unknown who or what the road is named after.

Jalan Lateh
   جالن لتإيه

Located within Braddell Heights Estate, Jalan Lateh, spelled in the older spelling of "latih" is translated to "Train or Coach Road" in English. The uphill sloped road has private houses alongside it. The road first appeared on maps in 1966.

Jalan Rebana
      جالن ربنا

Located within and surrounded by the landed houses of Faber Gardens, a private residential estate, the roads named there follow a theme of traditional Malayan percussion instruments. Rebana is the Malay word for tambourine, famous for use during Malay weddings.

Jalan Ria
   جالن ريا

Jalan Ria is located within Braddell Heights Estate, a landed housing estate near Braddell Road. Ria means "jolly" or "joy" in English. The road first appeared on maps in 1966.

Jalan Riang
    جالن رينڬ

Riang means carefree in Malay. The road, Jalan Riang is located within Braddell Heights Estate. It first appeared on maps in 1966 and is flanked by landed private homes.

Jalan Rumbia
    جالن رومبيا

Hidden behind the nearby Fort Canning Road flyover and can only be accessed through Oxley Rise, Jalan Rumbia first appeared on maps in 1966. Pokok Rumbia, or Metroxylon sagu (true sago palm) is a palm tree commonly found in Southeast Asia. The road currently houses the Church of the Sacred Heart, some old private apartment buildings and a condominium. There is also a Rumbia LRT station along Rivervale Drive, although the latter is not named after this road.

Jalan Seruling
    جالن سروليڠ

As with all other roads within Faber Gardens Estate, they're name after traditional Malayan musical instruments. Jalan Seruling is another example. Seruling or spelled in English as "suling" is a  bamboo ring flute resembling a flute. It is used in gamelan ensembles, an traditional Indonesian ensemble music made up predominantly of percussive instruments. Traditionally, Seruling is played and can be found in Southeast Asia, especially with people with ethnic Malays. Jalan Seruling is flanked by landed houses and first appeared on maps in 1966.

Jalan Sukachita
    جالن سوكچيتا

The road first appeared on maps in 1966. Jalan Sukachita is located within Braddell Heights Estate. "Sukachita" is the older spelling of "sukacita", translated to "happy", "glad", "merry". "joy" or "happiness". The minor road is flanked by landed housing.

Jalan Tambur
   جالن تمبور

The road first appeared on maps in 1966. Tambur is a Malay word for drums such as tabor and tambourine. The road is located off Upper Thomson Road near Faber Gardens Estate. The road currently plays hosts to Kiew Lee Tong Temple and private landed houses there.

Jalan Tenteram
     جالن تنترام

Like the other sister roads in St Michael's Estate, the numerical Malay road names were changed sometime in 1958. Jalan Tenteram was formerly known as Jalan Dua. There was previously a "Jalan Aman" but it has since been expunged as it is a HDB carpark. Jalan Aman was previously known as Jalan Empat. Tenteram means peaceful in Malay. The road is surrounded by a mixture of new and old HDB estates.

Jalan Tukang
     جالن توكڠ

Located off Jalan Boon Lay and Ending at Corporation Road, Jalan Tukang first appeared on maps in 1966 together with sister road named Lorong Tukang Satu till Lorong Tukang Lima (Since renamed to "Tukang Innovation Grove and Tukang Innovation Drive). Tukang is Malay for "skilled craftsman", following a theme of road naming to reflect the industrialization of the area. While most of the Malay road names have been renamed to English, Jalan Tukang and a few other Malay names are retained. Jalan Tukang today is a part of the Tukang Sub-Zone and houses many big corporations such as Caterpillar Marine and Sambo Innovation Building.
Article on my blog on the Jalan Tukang Area

Kampong Wak Hassan
       كامڤوڠ وق حسن

Located at the end of Sembawang Road and facing Selat Johor, a short dead end namesake lane is all that remains of Kampong Wak Hassan. Named after, Wak Hassan bin Ali, he had established a coconut plantation in the area in 1914. Collectively, the kampong was formerly a part of Petempatan Melayu Sembawang, or Sembawang Malay Settlement together with Kampung Lubang Bom, Kampung Hailam, Kampong Tanjong Irau among many others.

Today traces of the kampong, except for this former access road, are long gone. The streets of the nearby private estate took on the name of Wak Hassan Drive and Wak Hassan Place. As of January 2016, construction is on the way for a waterfront development with the road, Kampong Wak Hassan, facilitating with the construction.

Lorong Biawak
    لوروڠ بياوق

This road is hidden from the main roads and can only be accessed through Bukit Arang Road. Fanked by private housing, its located within Braddell Heights Estate. Biawak is translated to Monitor lizard in English. The road is a minor road with landed houses along side it. The road first appeared on maps in 1966.

Lorong Puntong
    لوروڠ ڤونتوڠ

Lorong Puntong is located off Sin Ming Avenue. "Puntong" in the older spelling of "puntung" means "stub". The road first appeared in 1969 and was previously a long track, the road now serves as an access road into the condominiums there.

Lorong Selangat
   لوروڠ سلاڠت

Located and surrounded by the landed houses within Braddell Heights Estate, Lorong Selangat is named after a fish commonly known as Chacunda gizzard shad. The road first appeared on maps in 1972.

Previous - Malay Road Toponyms 14
Next - Malay Road Toponyms 16

No comments:

Post a Comment