Wednesday, October 12, 2016

My Motorcycle Trip to Kuala Lumpur

For the past few weeks, I felt pretty depressed as I had broken off my engagement with my ex-fiancee that I still dearly love even as I'm typing this. So in an effort to start over a new leaf in life, last week, I decided to achieve one my lifelong goals, to travel all the way to Thailand with my motorcycle, "Hidayah".
Hidayah, my bike, ready for the trip.
Days before, I had preped Hidayah by going to my usual mechanic, Ah Boon at Syed Alwi Road near Jalan Besar. Changed her engine oil, tighten her chain and inspected the condition of my bike. At the advice of my mechanic, he told me to go slow at cruising speed, 80 to 90KPH and take many stops along the way.

That night I packed my items needed and the next day, I left from aunts house in Tampines. After some hugs and exchanging our goodbyes, I left for Woodlands Checkpoint. After a long wait to clear Singapore immigration, I was on no-man's land before proceeding to my motherland, Malaysia. After clearing Malaysian immigrations, I was on my way. Only to have stopped momentarily at a nearby Shell Gas Station along Jalan Skudai due to rain.

Video of my ride along Lebuhraya Utara-Selatan

184 Kilometers to Bandaraya Melaka.
At Machap R and R Rest Stop.
Leaving Machap
Once the skies cleared, it was all open road at the Lebuhraya Utara-Selatan (North-South Highway). As advised by Ah Boon, I made two stops at Machap and Pagoh R and Rs. At about 1900 hours, I finally reached my destination, Bandaraya Melaka, Negeri Melaka.

First Stop: Negeri Melaka

The cheap Melakan hotel I slept in.
Feeling really really tired, I chose a random hotel at Plaza Mahkota. It was probably the poorest decision I've ever made. Costing 60RM, the hotel sucked, literally. The room looked like a brothel, it was noisy. You can literally hear the shutters of shops closing, trucks idling and people having a laugh downstairs.
The best roti canai in all of Melaka.
I didn't sleep until 2 am. I woke up quite early at around 6 for morning prayers and had trouble sleeping. So that was when I decided to go downstairs to Restoran Melaka Raya for a breakfast of Roti Canai and cold Milo. Eating there brings back a lot of memories for me as my cousin always brings us there to eat whenever we were at Melaka.
A shot of Hidayah and A Famosa 
Myself in the shot. Haha
So before I left Melaka, I went over to A Famosa for a mandatory photo in front of it, to basically show that I was there. I left Melaka and we were on the road again.
At Restoran Jembatan Ayer Keroh R&R. 
Chicken Coney meal at A&W.

I made a stop at Restoran Jembatan Ayer Keroh R&R to have a meal of A&W there. I also did a quick engine oil check and topped off some as it was below the suitable level. The next stop was at Senawang R&R.
At the state border of Negeri Sembilan Darul Khusus
The state border of Selangor Darul Ehsan
Passing by two Malaysian state borders, I had to stop and take a selfie as it was somewhat an accomplishment for me. Final R&R stop was a Seremban. And after that, we were on our way into Kuala Lumpur.


Destination Achieved: Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur

As I entered city limits, I finally achieved my destination. After going through heavy traffic at Jalan Loke Yew, I made my way to Dataran Merdeka. Followed by a commemorative photo in front of the historic landmark, I made my way to my hotel at KL Sentral.
My arrival at Kuala Lumpur, Dataran Merdeka.
I settled in a hotel that I'm very much used to and trusted very much while I was there previously. MyHotel at KL Sentral at Jalan Thambipillay.
Much much better than the hotel at Melaka.
But the view.... not so much....
Despite the horrible view and the upgrading of the building opposite the hotel, it wasn't really that noisy and I wasn't affected by it during my stay at all. Wi-fi connection is also exceptional and I'm always getting great signal. I later met Zar that evening at Dataran Merdeka. After some catching up, we proceeded to fetch his wife. That was when I was overwhelmed by the evening KL rush hour traffic.
A video of me riding through KL traffic while following Zar and his wife.

I spent some time with Zar that night and we discussed on what we shall do during our stay in KL. Zar actually was supposed to return to Singapore on my day of arrival but extended his stay for me. I truly appreciate the gesture and his kindness for being a friend in need.
Life of a mosque cat
Grabbing its tail...
Wondering cat...
At the mosque we were praying, I couldn't help myself but to play with a cute cat!

Next Destination: Air Terjun Sungai Gabai

Halfway there...
The view of Kuala Lumpur from a lookout point
At the suggestion and planning of Zar, we decided to head out to the waterfalls at Hulu Langat, Selangor. Located at the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur. The next day, at around 10 in the morning, we got on out bikes and rode all the way from KL to Hulu Langat, passing by many kampungs and other ulu establishments along the way.
Me and Zar at Sungai Gabai Waterfall
After about an hour of riding from Kuala Lumpur City Center, we arrived Sungai Gabai Waterfalls. There were some people already there when we arrived and we quickly got changed.
A video compilation of us at Sungai Gabai Waterfall

The water was really really cold. So I didn't really submerge myself while Zar was having the time of his life. We talked and relaxed as the flowing river water refreshed our bodies and purified our skin.
A spiderweb at one of the rocks.
Commemorative Photo 1
Commemorative Photo 2
Commemorative Photo 3
After taking some photos with the sign to prove our mark, we packed up and left Sungai Gabai Waterfalls.
Packing up
Leaving Sungai Gabai
And we're on our way.
We left Sungai Gabai and made a short pit shop at a nearby kampung mosque for prayers. There was no one at the mosque. It was rather nice to see how a kampung mosque looks like. Here in Singapore, the mosque buildings here are too modern.
My bike in front of Masjid Ar-Rahman
Our bikes at the mosque
Riding through the kampung and on our way back to KL
The next morning at the hotel, for unknown reasons, my phone failed on me. Because of this, I decided to scrap the trip further up north and return to Singapore. The reason why I needed my phone on the trip was because I wanted to have a line on standby so that I can contact the authorities and my family in case of an emergency.
Me and Zar before he leaves for his home.
In front of Muzium Istana DiRaja Malaysia
Me and Hidayah.
I was rather bummed that I didn't get to accomplished as planned. But hey, at least I know now that Hidayah can survive on very long riding trips. I'll treat this as a "trial run"  for my future trip into Hat Yai, Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment