Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Post Number 104

This post is dedicate to a friend, colleague and fellow officer, LCP (APF) Norman Samri. He passed on during the line of duty on 10th February 2017 due to a road traffic accident at Tuas Checkpoint.
His obituary notice
Me and Norman during our training at Old Police Academy
When I first received the news, I was shocked and sad. It was so sudden and unexpected. Al-Fateha.

إِنَّا للهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ‎‎
"We surely belong to Allah and to Him we shall return."

Drink driving has no place in this world. May justice be served to the driver.

News articles related to the incident: The Straits TimesBerita Harian (Malay)
------------------------------------


Aquired my Class 3 Driving License!

Reached another milestone in life! Typically this achievement is usually achieved by 18 year olds who are eligible enough. But me being a late bloomer, I finally passed my Class 3 motorcar driving license at the age of 28....

Enrollment and Training

My Class 3 Manual Car Training Record Booklet.
I enrolled on 8th March 2016 at the spur of the moment the day before. I had decided that it was time for me to get my car license after riding for more than 3 years. It was actually a goal of mine since ITE, but due to the lack of funds and my greater interest in motorcycles, I took up motorcycle license instead.

So, like typical teenage dreams, it was mothballed until December 2015. At a spur of the moment. Due to my foresight of one day getting married (I was engaged at that time) and driving a car or having a job that may require me to drive I decided to take up driving to be prepared for this. 
My record of the practical lessons had to go through.
Part 2
The reason why I chose Singapore Safety Driving Center (SSDC) was because I had taken by Class 2A and 2 lessons there too. Besides, it was closer to my home in Bishan.

I didn't really take note of how many practical lessons I went through, but I knew I had pre-booked a lot of lessons in advance. With a quick look at my records on the SSDC account, I had spent a total of $2,318.60 on the whole course itself. But I had already anticipated to spend close to 2.5K, so had somewhat mentally prepared myself to pay for that kind of price.

I also made an effort to go for lessons every single week. But however, I did took a long break from June 2016 till September that same year due to other commitments. There were also lessons that I booked but did not go due to the lack of reminders. So yes, that's money gone down the drain.
My assessment checklist.
Test day, 15th February 2017. It was also Total Defence Day. I reported early for my warm-up at around 1530 hours. There were a few foreign workers and two Singaporeans. Our instructors came to the room. After a quick inspection of our Provisional Driving License, we then proceeded for our warm-up session. I used this opportunity to clarify and ask as many questions as possible. My instructor was very happy to answer me and gave me tips.
2nd and 3rd pages of the assessment checklist
My name was called out. The tester looked pretty stern, but when he opened his mouth and talk to me, he was actually an approachable and nice uncle. I was already shaking and super nervous as we walked to the car, but surprisingly, he offered me words of comfort and encouragement. I could still remember that he told me "Don't be nervous, just do your best."
Passed!!!!
It was time to drive. I started the vehicle and follow the directions of the tester. First was directional change. So far so good, did my checks and everything. Parking cleared and off to crank course. Then was when all hell broke loose. As I made my way through the crank course my heart skipped a beat when I heard the tire screeching; my left front tire had strike the kerb.

The tester sighed and I myself let out a heavy breath. But nevertheless, I continued on to the "S" course. Then onto the public roads. I actually felt more comfortable riving outside as I myself was used to road riding on motorcycle. When we returned to the circuit, I was prepared for the worst outcome and already thinking of contingency plans to book for additional lessons and TP test. 
The Classes of vehicles I'm able to drive
We parked the car and he led me to the waiting room. After a 7 to 10 minute wat, my ester came out and he commented that I need more practice shifting gears. He looked at assessment checklist for one last time and handed it to me, I breathed a sigh of relief... I passed the TP test with 18 points!!

Throwback to my Graduation

Me during graduation.
Another angle.
So sometime last year, I got my graduation photos and I decided to share this proud moment here! That was me on stage shaking hands with a representative from the Workforce Development Agency.

Bought New Phone

Goodbye Asus Zenfone 2

So my unnamed Asus ZenFone 2 failed on me after almost 2 years of use. The phone was already in a bad state when certain app features didn't function properly. Ever since Nokia was making a comeback, I was actually holding out for the latest high-end Nokia phone. I was very disappointed upon the release of the Nokias, 3, 5 and 6. Their specs are more to the low to mid range. YouTube reviews also showed disappointing camera quality.

I couldn't wait any longer, and after much contemplating, looking at reviews, watching YouTube videos and decision making, I listed down my requirements for my future communication device.

My past few smartphones are more to the mid range specs. Basically at that time, I thought I'd have only basic features to rely on. I have used Asus ZenFone 6 and 2. But now, I've decided to no longer restrict myself to cheap mid range smartphones and go for a high end one.
My new phone, a Huawei Mate 9 named "Endeavour".
And Endeavour's namesake, the Space Shuttle Endeavour.
Sooooo... after much decision making.... I finally got the Huawei Mate 9!! Following my tradition of naming my very special electronic items after the NASA Space Shuttle fleet, I named the phone "Endeavour" after Space Shuttle Endeavour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment